Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Singing mice

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4395664.stm


In 1936


http://time-proxy.yaga.com/time/archive/preview/0,10987,771931,00.html



Or, in my case, the mouse that wouldn't go away.




Quite a few years ago a mouse found it's way into the bedroom and started eating the chocolate and other things that used be left on the bookcase. When those were moved it got into some drawers and found things that had been forgotten about. This mouse sang. If you put music on the mouse would trill along with it and then be quiet when the music stopped.

I searched the web and found there was a species of mouse who was known to sing but that as far as anyone knew they for the most part lived in America. It seemed rather unlikely that one had found it's way into my house so I just thought s/he was a quite amazing house mouse.

Eventually when the constant clearing up got tiring I set a humane trap down baited with chocolate and mousie soon went into it. I took the mouse out and set it free in the back garden. Mistake. Do not release your mice too near to home.

Three days later mousie was back.

S/he would sit on the bookcase after lights out next to the bed. Sing when the music was on and didn't seem too worried about whether there was food there or not.

I tried with the trap again but no luck, mousie wasn't going to go in there again. Phoned a zoo up for advice. After telling me that there were no refuges for mice in the country they suggested I might have a bit of here anya problem catching the mouse if this was the only method I was going to use. I had a very happy, super bright mousie and could only hope that eventually s/he might forget what had happened last time s/he'd gone into the trap. I bought all kinds of goodies that I thought would tempt mousie, but no luck.

Mousie lived in the house for the rest of it's life. There was always a lot of clearing up to do after it but you got used to that and anyway it didn't matter because the little mouse had become a valued member of the household. S/he was rather spoilt really. Sometimes when you'd been out you would come in and find mousie resting on the bed. A variety of food was left out with a little water. Really the little mouse was having quite a good time. And still liked to sing.


Fortunately s/he remained a solo artiste. No mousie choir appeared in the house.



S/he was in the house for about eighteen months. Then one day s/he let me pick her up and I held and patted her. A few days later I came in and was told that mousie had been found dead curled up in a spoon in the cutlery drawer.

S/he was missed a lot.