Thursday, September 29, 2005

Not really listening

I'm not really paying that much attention to the political parties at the moment. It's not that I don't care. I guess it's that I feel tired of sitting through the same stuff basically over and over again. When Tony Blair and "New" Labour first came into power I was hopeful. I did notice that they didn't actually seem to do anything but was comforted a bit by the explanation that first and foremost was their commitment to paying off the national debt and therefore eventually having more money to spend in the country. I also felt hopeful that their election would mean a politically fairer and more tolerant country and that hope probably stopped me from being totally impartial.

I realise that they've had a difficult time to be in power too. I mean you have to take the reality of the moment into consideration too. It's not been an easy time nor is it going to be and I understand the difficulties in some ways. I understand that introducing social change too fast can cause problems, but it seems to me that that's one thing you can't accuse this government of doing.

I understand that they want to keep the voters with them too. Well, I certainly wouldn't want either of the other two parties in power at the moment. I tend to see Labour as the best of a bad set of choices.

But still, we're living in a country where the health system is just a mess. That's thinking about GPs, hospitals and dentists. The country is not in a good way is it. And it's like no one but the government is involved in treating the problems. Most people are just alienated from political life these days it appears.

Even with global warming. Well, yes, there is the Kyoto treaty but in this country the increased the amount of pollutants it's putting out into the atmosphere.