Thursday, December 29, 2005

Poetry

I find a lot of poetry difficult to read. It doesn't paint word pictures in my head. I guess there's a cross over between poetry and song lyrics in that if poetry isn't free form both it and song lyrics in general have a form. In some forms of poetry it can be a very strict form too though people might not notice this just reading it.

Generally though I'm mystified by a lot of poetry while even if song lyrics are rather strange I tend to get there in the end. Sometimes meaning's structured, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes lyrics are just a free flow of words.

I've never been interested in poetry. In poetry classes I'd just write humorous stuff because I really couldn't get my head round thinking of it in any other way.

But in other people's minds I could see that poetry painted pictures and that they could express their feelings through writing it. The extent of my feelings expressed in this medium had something to do with getting a dog down that was stuck up a tree.

I express myself better through dance I guess, though obviously not so much these days and through prose.

Expression through art is rather different though I guess it's there. I'm not a performance artist expressing myself in that way. But I guess a lot of what I do says a lot about me.

I draw portraits too. And I used to like drawing Celtic Art. I've forgotten the name of the guy that brought out all those Celtic Art How To books but I was a great fan.

Goes off to find out who it is.

Ah. Courtney Davis


I like drawing portraits.

I like quite a lot of fantasy art.

Slightly different but fractals fascinate me.

I guess my favourite artist is Rossetti though I tend to like a lot of magazine art a lot and things like that.


I suppose art is a way of expressing myself but it's very different from dance and writing.

http://www.celtic-art.com/books/