Wednesday, December 28, 2005

I wonder

If she'll change it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But meanwhile:

Sans penguins

Let's talk about this

http://comment.independent.co.uk/commentators/article335360.ece


Sunbathing, sunblock and vitamin D.


I've spent quite a lot of time in the sun and've burnt a couple of times. Am much more careful now. I wear sunblock on my face from about the end of April to the end of September in this country if I'm out for long. I'll also wear trousers and a t shirt with long sleeves a lot of the time,depends just what the weather's like, and will roll the sleeves up for part of the time I'm out to make sure that I get sunlight on my skin to form vit D.

I'll add sunblock as I need it when I'm out for long. And a hat too sometimes or sun glasses.

I think I remember reading that they'd thought to get sufficient vitamin D from the sun during the summer months you just had to have the sun on your face for around half an hour around 10am to 11am.

Sometimes I've been out for a while without sunblock and then put it on if I'm going to be out for longer.

It's important not to take too much vit D as it can cause calcium to form in other parts of your body apart from your bones. I take a Vegan supplement in the morning, the Seven Seas vegan and vegetarian multivit which has 100% of the RDA for this country, and one Boots chewable calcium and vit D tablet in the evening with my food.

Obviously as a vegan I don't get vit D from any animal sources though do get some from margarine and from some fortified vegan drinks. I don't tend to eat fortified breakfast cereals.

It really does depend on your skin just how long you can be in the sun without burning. Some people are very sun sensitive, other's aren't.