Tuesday, January 17, 2006

8'o'clock start

Well, I was out by eight this morning to go and get the papers and some food. Just fancied a walk in the early morning. Foot still a pain but things are getting better. I had a good night's sleep last night though still felt tired when I woke up.

Couldn't believe the morning. It was so pleasant out there ... well, if you know what I mean. Very, very mild. I remember being really happy if the temperature hit 11 degrees for a day at the end of February when I was younger cause it was a sign that regardless of how awful the weather was for the next couple of months we were at least heading towards summer again. Been looking at the London 5 day forecast and it seems we're getting a high of 11 degrees this week there. Well, tomorrow actually. Huh.

Just checked for Brum too and so are we here. 12 degrees the day after.


So, I guess lights off when not needed, kettle with not too much water and don't keep things on standby. I guess every bit helps.

I saw the headline in the Independent yesterday about someone saying that things have gone too far now. I haven't read it yet because I was doing other things yesterday ..... and ofcourse resting!!! quite a bit in between. Think it was something to do with James Lovelock author of Gaia. He's sort of a green, and I suppose you'd say holistic in some senses, scientist.


At the moment I'm very bleary cause I'm still ill. What I'll say without reading the article is all credit to him for publicising this again and putting it back out for debate yet again. It needs to be there because I'm still amazed at the number of people I come across, mainly on the net now, who still don't think global warming is a reality. They're generally Bush supporters or the type of person who says they don't support Bush and are a commited Democrat but have a right wing agenda that would make Mrs Thatcher blush.

The eco system is doing things that are making things harder especially where the absorbtion of carbon is concerned which point to things being more difficult to control. But we really need to start to doing things to limit the damage and at the moment I'd there's still a margin there to be able to do this. But people still aren't being encouraged to take any personal responsibility in the effort to get things under control again, not personally or in business. Though as I mentioned once before that in the States some buisnesses are taking their personal responsibility seriously and are finding against all expectations apparently that it's cost effective, and some developing countries are starting, China for all it's environmental pollution is investing in solar power for domestic use though this doesn't offset the industrial problems there which have to be addressed too.

Public bodies, think tanks, that give the impression that things are all right in some places when they are most decidedly not are a problem too. Pointless really because the reality is there for anyone who wants to know. I guess they're a bit like the people who used to insist, for a political reason/for money, that cigarettes weren't a factor in cancer. I can remember reading all that while the major debate was going and it's just amazing how obvious reality is denied.

As far as global warming/climate change goes the damage needs limiting. And as with global warming I guess no one really quite knows exactly what will happen when this happens to any great extent. Maybe things will progress better than anyone's expected if it's sorted out quickly. The talk about having targets to stabilize the situation that won't happen for fifty years or so is just passing the buck really isn't it. And just looking at the way the eco system is reacting totally unrealistic.

Mr Bush has come round to voicing an opinion that global warming is a reality unlike many of his quasi/ supporters. There's the problem of trying to keep a stable economy and stem global warming that governments are having a big problem with.

What we still haven't got though is the inclusion of everyone to help and the truth is that we're all in this together.