Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Plantains

When I was writing about the menopause I mentioned that soya was thought to help ease the symptoms some people get. Plantains contain the same elements that help. But as I said there are places in the world where there isn't language to cover menopausal hot flushes because they are more or less unknown. Maybe it's just eating a healthy basic diet that is the key. Brown rice, barley,oats, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, garlic,broccoli, celery, sweet peppers, chick peas, haricot beans, kidney beans are among other foods that could help. But really it just seems that having a healthy diet is the answer. If I remember rightly, it's not just in Japan, where lots of soya products are eaten, where Western menopausal symptoms are lesser, but in communities were a healthy but basic diet is the norm.

I don't know. I was 51 when I had my last period and didn't have any night sweats, hot flushes or any of the other symptoms associated with the menopause, nothing apart from the fact that the last few periods were just totally out of sync and heavier/lighter, longer/shorter than usual.

It's not long ago and I'm still ok.