Thursday, February 01, 2007

Lavender oil

I thought I'd post this up just as a reminder that 'erbs is 'erbs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6318043.stm

Plants are the base of a number of medical discoveries and one of the fears about the destruction of the rainforest is that we'll lose a lot of plants that could've provided useful drugs to treat illnesses with.

I want to take a herbal remedy containing black elderberry which is believed to make viruses less efficient in the body. I'm hoping that it'll help me fight off colds a bit better. But I'm going to have to ask about it first because of the medication I'm on now. Some herbal remedies can be contra indicated with some prescribed medication. St John's Wort is one of them. It's best to ask your GP or phone up the company who makes your medication.

I love the smell of lavender. And I've an adult male friend who wears it as a scent and hasn't shown any of the symptoms mentioned in the article. Maybe it's a growing thing. Or maybe some people aren't bothered.

But it's wise to remember that plants are the basis of a number of medical discoveries.