Monday, November 21, 2005

And I guess that's why I carry on

I've had this conversation with myself and sometimes with other people many times. Many more times with myself though. It comes up everytime I get tired of fighting and become weary with it all. I think to myself "Why bother". There are a few reasons. One is that every so often I get some kind of burnout. It's not empathy burnout or anything like that,it's just that it goes on and on with no end and I get tired. The other reason is sometimes I think when I'm out there trying to help some cause or other ... look half these people hate me or see me as some kind of second class citizen. I'm gay, or well, whatever and I'm a woman. Why should I help. You know half these people don't see me as any kind of equal at all, and some will see me as worse than that for no reason other than their own power crazed bigotry. I have to take that on board.

But then if people didn't stand up to the tide of hatred that's everywhere this world would just turn into something like a concentration camp. And on a moral ground you have to fight against that. And ofcourse you do it for the people who don't hate.

But sometimes I do just get tired. And sometimes I'm aware that what I'm doing to help other people certainly wouldn't be returned to me because of people's powercrazed hating bigotry.

But I carry on.

Not everyone's the same and there are some pretty cool people out there.