Monday, November 07, 2005

Paris

My real interest in the high density estates around Paris began about three years ago. A story emerged about the violence practiced by some of the gangs living on them. It had exploded into the public consciousness after the death of a young woman on one of the estates. This was followed by marches by other men and women who also lived there in protest at what was happening. A film and books followed.

I'm not at all surprized by what is happening at the moment but I'm aware that it is a small minority of the people living there who are responsible for the violence. The protest by some of the people living there about the conditions was as a protest walk not the mindless violence that's taking place at the moment.

Not only do the people who live in these "ghettos" have to cope with the poverty and appalling attitudes from others outside their estates but they've also had to cope with the violence and intimidation where they live.

What has interested me is that now the media is saying that the police are heavy handed there, three years ago to explain the violence they were saying that some of the estates were no go areas with little policing because the people who lived there were more or less ignored.

The riots ofcourse have made the living conditions worse, they have destroyed the livelihoods of some of the people who live on the estates. The fires will also have added to the desolation of the area for the people who live there. I hope not, but from experience I know there is always a chance that other businesses will move away from the immediate vincinity and it will take a time before others move in regardless of how the government might talk about regeneration.

It was eye opening hearing young people talking about their wishes for the future. That what they wanted was acceptance and a chance to go out and get the job they had spent their time at school working for.


To be honest I haven't been following what's been going on this time. I'm ill and my concentration went a week or so ago and I haven't been following the news much. I was aware that it was going on but that was about it. I started reading more again yesterday. Hadn't been following in any medium.