Friday, November 04, 2005

Remembering a young woman (may trigger)

My interest in Human Rights began when I was somewhere between 14 and 15 1/2. I thought it would've been when I was over 16, but thinking back it couldn't possibly have been. I didn't realise at the time that what I'd seen and read would be something that would stay with me for life. It shocked me beyond belief. I knew quite a bit about the Nazis, the war, the occupation and the camps. I'd read some books, seen the usual type of photos, and dreadful as they were they didn't prepare me for this book. I'm not going to go into detail because this isn't the place to do so. But at somewhere around 14 or 15 I read a book that introduced me to the fate of one young woman who was a member of the French Resistance in WW2. I didn't know her name, nothing about her except that she'd been captured by the Nazis and killed. And saw the photo of what they'd done to her.

I sat there wondering who she was and what her life had been like before and during the war. I wondered about her bravery and felt that she'd probably been brave throughout her ordeal with the Nazis.

I expect I could've found out who she was but I didn't. I don't think of her consciously that often but sometimes she comes into my thoughts and I realise that was the probably the most defining incident that contributed to my interest in Human Rights that started a few years later.