Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Birmingham

Went out to Brum this afternoon. Bought a pair of shoes from schuz, they've got starz on them. I tried on a pair of purple canvas slip on shoes too but had trouble getting them over my insteps so that was that. The ones I've bought are rather sturdier than the Mary Janes I'm wearing. So, if it snows in the next few weeks, I'm ready.

My insteps!! Often can't get canvas slip ons on. Dancers feet apparently. My ballet teacher used to have people gathered round to look at them. Didn't help with my dancing I must say. I didn't like ballet and jeted out the door as soon as I could. Did Greek dancing too and didn't really take to being a sprite out of Pandoras box, or a lotus blossom on Ulysses travels.

The only thing I thought I'd taken away from this was an interest in Nijinsky and Erte's designs. Though later on I became interested in Indian dance after discovering Ram Gopal so those early lessons kind of paid off in the end.

I love Ravi Shankar's music too. It interests me that he likes Western classical music so much because I struggle with it but I love his music.

Had a nice time in Birmingham. Really it's just the start of saying bye to people which isn't so good really. But then if I hadn't come up here I wouldn't have met them so .................................