Tuesday, December 06, 2005

embarressed

Quite embarressed that I've been moaning about being bored. Shit, you know this is just one day out of my life. I'm sitting in a comfy flat with food. I've got no reason to really complain.

It's just this bug. I've talked to two people who're feeling much the same. Well, one's ears are just going, the other was feeling lethargic and bored. Well, at least we all have the same thing. The hearing loss and bordom bug.

I think it's just that I want get on with things and I feel too muzzy. Something was playing back in my head this morning but I didn't touch it because I know I'm just too tired. Perhaps that's part of it too. I wanted to get that done but I can't today.

Spoke to someone on the phone who said they thought that I was coming out of the last couple of days. And out of the last few weeks of illness too. Yawn. See, I'm tired. Perhaps it's easier for other people to see than me.

Anyway I bought the Complete Nutritional Health book today. Hope it mentions pasta. Think I'll go on to Uncle Ben's 10 minute brown rice soon. It's shortened it's cooking time by half since I last bought a pack I think. I used to think the 20 minute rice was great. It takes 40 minutes if you buy the untreated stuff I think. Those were the days. Buying the rice from the co operative health food store. Sometimes with added weevils. The first time we had weevils I took a few out everyday not realizing how many were waiting to introduce themselves. In the end I just took all the rice out and put it at the bottom of the garden. Only happened a couple of times. Ah, those were the days. I also cooked the only thing I can remember actually enjoying doing. It was a receipe for chilli and was absolutely lovely. I think I still have it somewhere. I can say ... look ... look. I once cooked that!!

You had to cook the sauce using fresh tomatoes which you had to skin first. And it involved cider apple vinegar. Well,it was an everything in the pot hippie wholefood cook book. I don't think I had the cider apple vinegar cookbook but you get the picture. Anyway you made this chunky sauce using these tomatoes you'd spent forever skinning and you could use it as a base for different receipes. Obviously cider apple vinegar, chilli (I can't remember if they were whole ones .. it's possible I suppose thinking of the book) and beans came into the picture somewhere along the line.

Remembers the awful veggie burger mixes.

Then there was becoming a vegan

Even worse .. remembers tasting soya milk for the first time. I was in awe of anyone who managed to drink it without feeling they wanted to be sick. Used to watch people drinking it. Graham used to swig it down and say come on it's nice. Oh,my god, it's not. It's really vile. I can't drink that. And I didn't.

I eventually got into it by drinking it with apple juice and then found some with chocolate in it which tasted ok. I can now drink the unsweetened stuff and quite like it. Don't know if the taste has changed since the early days. Some soya milk tastes nicer than others. Anyway I'm sure it's improved quite a bit over the years.