Monday, November 02, 2009

Monday

Well, me friends are going to sort out writing things out for me .. my friend knows enough and she phones two or three times a week so there's really no problem .. they can all chat together and I can get on with me languages. And she won't feel so overloaded with things to do as she did before .. she wants to learn Arabic too and it wasn't really fair as she works. I suppose there are already enough stories out there though .. a person either accepts them, or they don't .. don't know if one more on the pile is going to make any difference. Though could be interesting.

I've just heard from an old friend from way back in the day .. someone had met him and he asked if I'd like to be in touch .. I said yes and heard from him yesterday.

He reminded me of school and the day our headmaster invited two hippies of the youth culture of the time to come in and speak to us about their view of the world. It surprised us as we all thought the head was incredibly straight laced and that he'd just never do anything like that. He was very strict and often appeared to be from what you might describe as an old school military background. Well, maybe he was and that's why he invited them in to talk to us. Whatever .. the school was a peaceful place. The guys who came in to talk to us were the first real hippies I'd knowingly seen in the flesh. Of course. there were lots of different kinds of hippies really .. these were your transendental type into yoga and meditation rather than mind altering substances.

Hippies had been around, in one guise or another, for a long time, as a friend of mine who was a beatnik used to remind me .. she'd been one of the San Fransisco hipsters of the early 1960s who were a different youth culture from the later 60's ones.

The 1940's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eden_ahbez

http://www.shadowboxstudio.com/edenahbez.htm

Just back from the docs .. was late as I'd had to be slotted in. Got to find out about some of my meds at the chemist tomorrow and if there's a problem get in touch with the hospital about them .. probably have something else prescribed until this is sorted out. I don't quite understand why there's a problem with them as I thought the patent had run out now and would have thought that more people were manufacturing them. Hopefully I'll find that it's all sorted tomorrow. Just checked .. there is another manufacturer .. just checked ... Novartis .. so why is there a problem .. both firms are major manufacturers. I'll phone the manufacturers tomorrow too .. and see what they say.

There were three main subculture groups in the 60s really .. mods, rockers and hippies. I was friends with people from all groups. Liked bikes .. liked ska and rocksteady .. and was a hippie I guess .. though I was more ur urban hippy .. some people I knew left the towns and cities to live in the country .. but a lot didn't.

Anyway, nice to hear from him after all this time ... almost 40 years!!! lol!!!