Sunday, January 10, 2010

Metal and opera

I suppose it might be difficult to be into some forms metal if you're not very active cause it is quite beat orientated, I was listening to another album .. this time sort of stadium rock meets thrash metal!!! Album was called Society's ills or something like that. I felt on the edge really cause the lyrics were sung in a language I didn't understand and even though the singer used his voice to convey a lot of emotion I still had no idea what it was all about. And I could just sit and listen

There've been quite a few metal bands who have a female vocalist who has an operatic tone to her voice. Bit like this

http://www.jamendo.com/ru/album/49216

which is up there among the most popular music week after week.

I suppose there is a similarity between some forms of metal .. not really talking about the more mainstream types .. and opera .. in the way things are acted out using the voice and its emotion so I suppose it's not that surprising that it's actually veered nearer actual opera at times. I don't like it when it does this most of the time though, occasionally I do, when somehow the voice and music complement each other well.