Thursday, February 04, 2010

Desert island discs

Someone asked the other day if I was on a desert island with no radio access for a year which ten albums I'd take with me. These 10 albums would be the only music I'd hear while I was there.

I realised that I'd probably pick music for it's nostalgia value which meant music from my youth really as that was the time I really connected most because I was socializing in a musical comtext more than I did at any other part of my life. When I was with friends we listened to music a lot and spoke about it, danced to it and sometimes played it. As the years went on things changed and music took more of a backseat I guess.

Though I did always have a paw on the radio dial so to speak but I'd buy a record a year and that was that generally. Well, you know, something like that.

I'd pack

Country Joe and The Fish's Feel Like I'm Fixing to Die

Buffy Sainte Marie's She Used to want to be a Ballerina

A Donovan Greatest Hits cd

Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland

A Robert Johnson blues cd

A collection of sitar music for meditation

Then I think I'd add

A couple of the dreamy ambient collections from Earthmantra

Pedro Collares Organic Healing Sound from Jamendo

Mindthings Lifes Path

That's it.

It's difficult not to pick the early albums though because of the way music from your teens seems to stay with you throughout your life in a kind of favourite music/nostalgia mix.

The ones like the Donovan Greatest Hits I'd have to have a look through the compilation albums to see which one I liked best.