Thursday, December 08, 2005

The hostages

Obviously this is impacting on me in quite a big way watching other people suffer like this. I was never a hostage but in a situation where it's only thanks to the incredible bravery of other people that I lived. They risked their own lives to save mine the first time. Without them there would've been no way out. The young guys who did save my life were extremely traumatised by what happened and it affected their lives for quite a long time afterwards,probably always will though I guess how it does will change over the years. All I can say is when you look back just think that you saved my life. That's the thing. Your bravery, risking your own lives in a big way, saved mine. There was no way without you.

When I see things like the hostage situation though it's easy to put myself in their place. Not as easy as it is with some other forms of violence, but still quite easy. It's knowing some of the thoughts that could be going through their minds and the emotions that go with them. Though we're all different and I'm only there within my own experiences.