Sunday, February 26, 2006

Beetles

I've been quite interested in the beetle jewellry in the Chinese shop. It's quite unusual. At the moment they've got medium size beetle earrings in different colour stones. I think they've got them in red, light blue, light green, and black. They've also got a new tray of small beetle rings. They've had larger ones in a different design for quite some time. They have spider earrings too.

I was talking to one of the women that work there about the jewellry and asking if they were popular in China. And, she said, yes.

I know that you can get beetle jewellry here, in the main stream they're usually prettily coloured small brooches. On the more alternative side I guess there's more of a selection. But that's not main stream at all.

When I first saw them I was quite surprized. There's been quite a selection of flying beetles and other beetles in various forms there. And in just made me think of the differences around the world again.

I quite like them, though I did do a bit of a double take at the medium sized beetle earrings I must admit. They're nice, but just not what I'm used to seeing.

Ofcourse what comes to mind first of all is the scarab beetle from Ancient Egypt which was seen as a symbol of good luck, and possibly what the occasional Western beetle jewellry is related too, in thought anyway. I do have a beetle ring which I wear occasionally and I suppose I connect it to the scarab beetle, though not in it's mythological sense. More in a historical way.

The jewellry in the shop has been really interesting. The rings they've had in recently that must be based on more traditional designs than a lot of the things they have in have been fascinating.

I asked too if people there liked wearing jewellry based on designs of animals and flowers. She said yes.