Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Identities

I just decided to leave one thread as it was. I thought the last post was self explanatory in its own way for anyone who was reading through the thread. And I had said something about that in another one, though this time I was going to add something different. But looked at where the thread had gone and thought that's as good a place to leave it as any. On the last thread a couple of people had come in to add their views but this time seemed to have decided to leave it too.

Anyway, I thought I'd just add a bit here.

There was an article in the book section of The Independent a couple of days ago that's up on the web.

The article upset me a bit and kind of shadowed my day, but in context of the thread it's something to read.

Infact, there are two articles from The Independent to link to. Plus one from Radio Netherlands if I can find it. There's probably loads more in the same context on that site but I'm too tired to search through at the moment.

The first link is about a woman who was a member of the SOE during the war and who died at the hands of the Gestapo.

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/books/features/article346472.ece


(The SOE)

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WWsoe.htm


Noor's name is one you can click on in the article to read more about her.


The second link is more up to date and is about another young Muslim woman, though here you can't get the full article through the link as that isn't available without membership. But this is the link to the synopsis.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article346376.ece


Now over to Radio Netherlands and see if I can search out the article that I want there.

Here we are.

http://www.radionetherlands.nl/radioprogrammes/voxhumana/051111vh?version=1


Just trying to show that people are difficult to categorise.

A few years ago I read about a guy who had killed someone during a time of trouble. He was very young, in his late teens if I remember rightly. At the time he had thought he was doing this for a "religious" reason but he soon became aware that what he had actually done was just to kill another human being.

He devoted quite a bit of the rest of his life lecturing and telling others about what had happened and his intense revulsion, sorrow and guilt when he realised what he had infact done.

There is writing about him on the net, or there was anyway, but I can't remember his name now. Maybe I can find out. It sure was an interesting thing to read.

On the thread that I decided not to write anymore on the last post was a generalization in terms of a group. I had already written about this on another thread, though ofcourse it'd take pages to write about it all properly.

Writing about the women would have been just a little bit of my response if I had decided to write. But I decided to leave that post as the last one so that it would stand out. No one else has added to the thread.

Maybe they felt that what a few people had added on the last similar thread was enough.