Sunday, June 10, 2007

Up, fed (part *********!!!!!!)

Up, eating breakfast and part way through sorting out all this medication. Today is the morning I have to wait half an hour after taking one pill before I can eat breakfast. I'm also increasing the steroid sparing pills, waited a few days because I've had a cold. Had written it all up on the notepad on my desktop so that I'd remember.

Well, a couple of hours have gone by since downing the first extra pill and things are fine, not that I've had any trouble with these pills anyway. They suit me much better than the first steroid sparing pills I tried.

I wrote up on one of the boards about how different medications had affected me. Apparently I have a very good reaction to morphine because it doesn't slow me up in ways that might be expected. Guess I've been really lucky there. Though it's swings and roundabouts because another pill they tried me on which is similar made me feel really ill. One of my consultants was telling me that he couldn't take morphine because just a tiny bit made him feel nauseous. But maybe he's alright with the medication that I couldn't take.

Not that many people'll want to know (!!) but quite a few people already do anyway but morphine doesn't bung me up at all except if I have a cold and then it affects contractions which can make things pretty unpleasant. But I have my trusty box of movicol sachets to help sort things out. Just one sachet did that on Thursday and I've been fine since. But I've been told that it's more or less a given that the morphine as well as the other pain relief I take should bung me up. Just goes to show how different medications can affect different people. Just in the same way that one of my consultants can't take morphine while I couldn't take the other strong pain relief I tried in hospital.

I also have an allergy to a couple of antibiotics and soluble paracetamol is much kinder to me tum that taking it in undisolvable form.

I guess it's really worth taking note of both good reactions and bad reactions to medication and discussing alternatives if something seems not quite right. There are some side effects I have to put up with from the medication but on the other hand I have a pill to protect my tum that works much better than the first one we tried.