Sunday, July 22, 2007

Getting up

I sleep propped up cause it makes getting up easier. I can get the pain relief easier without having to flounder around. Someone I've met recently has to as well. And my father did too. In hospital they have beds where the back can be raised and lowered, out of hospital I'm improvising. But, it's ok. Generally takes me about an hour to sort everything out and for the pain relief to sort things out. The first dose seems to make me very tired again but then that wears off a bit and I get up. Take my steroid sparing pills, wait an hour or so then I can eat, then take the steroids after a yogurt. Then I start to wake up a bit again.

The first dose of pain relief just takes the edge off the pain, the second one helps a bit more but someone else says it's much the same for them so I suppose this is quite a general thing.

This morning's (well, afternoon today .. another long sleep) breakfast was a cereal bar rather than a yogurt and it's now time to dive in for the steroids ... eight of them .. right, taken and marked off.

Everything takes so long now. But, there you go. It doesn't really matter. I'll do a few very gentle exercises after the next lot of pain relief. There's 10 minutes of meditation and my eye exercises to do now.

I used to help mum through something similar. Well, the pills, the exercises and food. We both have a mixture of illnesses but you learn to cope, though it's hard to start off with though at the moment I just want to curl up and go to sleep again but I'll get a yogurt and then get meself sorted out. It's helped getting to know other people in much the same predicament and, ofcourse, having looked after mum cause I can identify with a lot of what I did for her.

I'm a bad patient and so was she. Someone started a thread about this on one of the boards (sigh). Yup, I am .. but it's just a way of looking at things I guess. I was very active once and that's where part of my personality is I guess. It's hard to just curl up and stop. Mum was much more active than me when she was ill but I guess that's down to the differences in the illnesses. I can't be active for long because pain will break through so easily and I'm so tired.

Well, think it'll be TENS machine (15 mins), yogurt and meditation and eye exercises