Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sleep and meditation

I wish I could sleep better. Generally I sleep for about 5 hours day and night .. if I don't sleep at night I make up for it during the day but, apart from a day here and there when I sleep for hours and hours and hours .. and there's not many of those .. I don't sleep much at all.

So, I guess I have to go back to meditating which is the nearest thing you can do to mimic sleep because of the brain waves it produces.

I used to be able to meditate easily but now I find I start thinking about things and keep on having to banish intrusive thoughts. But I love the feeling of relaxation and calm it gives . I've sighed just thinking about it .. a deep relaxed sigh. Relaxing the whole body.

Hmmm ... lovely.

I know some kinds of meditation don't suit some people .. but I'm not sure if this means that it's just some kinds or if it's meditation right across the board.

I know that when you first start it can be a bit disappointing for the first few sessions because you can be a bit twitchy .. but this is just tension leaving the body as the mind learns to relax.

Fortunately I'm well past that now. Though when I started again that I was going to have to learn again but it was ok .. except that I do get distracted at times .. instead of letting go I find myself becoming deep in thought and have to clear my mind again.

I can go into very deep relaxation though at times. It's a very nice thing to experience. It doesn't necessarily happen through relaxation. W.J Ousby's relaxation method was a good way into it. He learnt it from someone else .. can't remember who .. and I know it's quite a common relaxation technique these days.

Meditation does affect the brain differently from sleep but, apparently, it can rest it and this can help if you haven't slept well.

I do meditate a little and really love it but I'm just not doing it often enough and I do tend to just think .. oh I should do some meditation and go straight into it .. not possibly the best way though I used to find it easy enough to slip into when I wanted to .. maybe I will again but not at the moment .. will need some more practice.