Thursday, July 19, 2007

Holidays etc

One of my net friends and her husband are just about to bike (motor) off to Nova Scotia for three weeks. She's a teacher and over where she works the summer holidays have been going on for some time. When she comes back it'll be time to go back to work.

I've been trying to remember if she's older than me or not!!! Retirement must be in the air somewhere. Once I might've said wait til you retire but after developing this illness I'd say what other people, older than me, had said to me before, don't put things off if you can do them earlier.

There's no way, even if I went to visit her and they wanted to do anything like that, that I could ever do anything like that now. It's been one of her dreams for many years and she's off to do it now.

I'm not jealous .. never been jealous of anyone/thing in my life. There's always something to do .. a book can take you through a lot of dreams .. an art book from the library and a book of paper and pencils. A book on yoga .. a language book. Whatever. People to go out with and talk with.

There's no reason to feel that way.

But .... I cannae wait to see de fotos!!!!

I hope the weather's going to be good for them.

(Sitting here with me TENS machine attached to me back, waiting fer the oven to heat up, sitting next to me orange box of medication etc.)

The box was really to keep my pencils and felt tips etc in. My drawing things but it's doing a more useful job as a medicine chest.

Bubble packs weren't any use because of the taking pills half an hour/an hour before food etc. And anyway there're just too many pills to fit in the bubbles. Mum had them for a while and they wouldn't be any use with my collection of medication unless they have new designs.

Pill boxes mightn't be either. I can remember going out to try and find suitable ones for mum before the bubble packs .. she had a fair amount of pills too ... but not finding anything suitable.

So me medicine box plus book and biros .. I've put two in incase one doesn't work .. seems the best .. home improvisation.

Anyway, things are ok now though it's still a bit annoying with the half hour/hour etc before food and I've had a bit of a cold this week which made me a bit tireder than usual and I missed out two doses of the steroid sparing drug and one of steroids in about four days .. not good with this illness .. I wasn't going to risk taking them incase I already had. Just made me sit and think and that's when my medicine and book and biros ended up in the box that should've been for my art things.

One of my friends has made one too now and someone else thanked me for the idea and is gonna make one too. I bought the boxes because I liked the colours. I bought one purple and one orange one .. same colours as my MST (!!!) so now my art things'll just be bundled into the purple one. Doesn't matter. Just glad the colours attracted me over to have a look. Made me laugh at the time. I had no idea how useful they were going to turn out to be.

My book came from The Works warehouse sale. One of those pink books with multicoloured pages. I just write up the pills I've got to take at the times I've got to take them and put a box next to each one and put a tick in the box when I've taken them. I was going to use that to sketch in too but it's being more useful as it is now I guess ... well, I know not I guess.

Brill!!!!

Now off to do dinner ... soya mince and dried potato mash and carrots (tinned) and an egg.

Brill!!!!

Oh, and a slice of bread and Marmite.

I've put some ready meals in the freezer incase the weather gets worse. But it really doesn't take much longer to sort them out yourself if you put the soya mince in to soak with flavourings the day before. Just add a few tinned carrots and then cover with the potato and water mix.

Anyway the meal's on now.

I'll be eating an egg with it. Might as well while I'm eating vegetarian rather than vegan.

The smallest ulcers are looking better but it's a difficult illness. I've more than one illness anyway, the other one is affecting my muscles. But this is difficult though it's the other that causes most of the pain.

Someone I know is just waiting for what will probably be a diagnosis of lupus which is an illness that is quite similar to mine. I have a friend in London too who has a daughter with this illness though her daughter has had it for many years. While I was looking lupus up on the net I read that lupus is becoming more common than it used to be. Wonder why that is .. changes in diet maybe. Who knows.

I've also been surprized at how many auto immune illnesses there are. I've heard of quite a few but there are quite a few others that I hadn't.

Multiple Sclerosis, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis are well known examples and illness like mine, not.

Multiple sclerosis

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?articleId=254


Lupus

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/lupus.html


Rheumatoid arthritis

http://www.rheumatoid.org.uk/


I'm interested in all this too. I guess because I have medical people in my family and because I'm ill but also because I discuss medical things with the two young people who're hope to become doctors. They're still interested even with the shortage of placements in this country. Brave guys. But, we've been talking about this and ways round it all. Even with me tired out etc they've raised interest here.

Right, and now I'm going to get my dinner!!!!