Saturday, July 26, 2008

books ... continued

I was leafing through a book the other day and came upon the fact that it's considered that 2/3% of the population have a psychopathic personality. When I was last looking for information like that, a long time ago, it was reckoned that 1% of men and just under that could be said to have a psychopathic personality. They weren't really sure about women back then and said the figures for women might be wrong as they thought women might show it differently from men. It was said that you could tell a psychopath because they didn't see other people as "real" Ofcourse once that hit the stands everyone would be saying .. yes, ofcourse they saw other people as real .. unless they were in the psychiatric profession it seems .. lol!!!! I've never forgotten a story in The Times I think it was where a guy was becoming suspiscious of a collegue and he asked him if he saw his parents as real people and he said ... no!!! There was more to the conversation and the guy had his reasons to think this of the other guy for a long time. I don't know .. looking back .. what the guy meant by "real" ... I can't remember that part of the conversation .. but I expect it meant did he think his parents were real in that they had feelings to be considered. I wish I could remember the whole article now. I wondered when I was reading the bit in the book the other day why the % of people seen to have this personality disorder had changed. I also wondered if "real" had been replaced by another word or paragraphs or even a whole book. I know that some people don't like the word psychopath or sociopath to be used at all because they say it covers too varied a set of people.