Wednesday, September 03, 2008

The Express yesterday

It's strange to think that being out in the sun might have triggered my illness. I said to a couple of people I know to be careful of the sun. It's not just skin cancer tht can be triggered by the sun. Though I will probably end up with that because of a combination of my skin being so vulnerable now because of the illness and the medication.

The Express had a story on the front page about some other medication that might trigger cancer yesterday. With my illness it's the fact that my skin is so fragile now so I haven't as much protection from the sun as well as the medication.

My immune system has just gone wrong and is attacking parts of me that it shouldn't. There are lots of auto immune conditions .. rheumatoid arthritis is a much more common one than mine. Mine is quite rare .. when I was in hospital I met someone who had one where there are only two people in the country who have it, he was a visitor rather than a patient. Mine is much more common than that!!! Psorasis is another and lupus and multiple sclerosis and type 1 diabeties .. those are much more common than mine .. I've yet to meet anyone else who has developed it .. though I know of people, one doctor I know's mother developed it, and someone else's gran and there is a group in America that you can join on line.

Both lupus and mine can be sun related so it's best to protect yourself. Lupus is said to be becoming more common in Europe now. It's also a much more common illness than mine which is why there's more interest in it. The sun can make lupus worse if you do develop the illness.

Seeing the article yesterday reminded me again about the sun and my illness. As I said it's not just that it can be caused by the sun but the treatment can mae you more susceptible to skin cancer like the illness itself. The medication makes you susceptible to other forms of cancer too but generally it's skin cancer that develops. It's less toxic than other forms of treatment though.

Climate change .. bah! huh!!!!!