Sunday, July 26, 2009

.........

Anyway I guess Baba Ramdev included all the breathing exercises that Sri Sri Ravi Shankar uses. Bit of luck that he shares a name with a famous musician or I expect that I would've forgotten it after 2/3 years and one conversation on the phone where the conversation around health and asthma took about 5 minutes I guess. Well, not much lomger anyway.

Watching the videos took me back to my youth when I was very into yoga as were lots of people,

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar will have his own methods of teaching the pranayama exercises which obviously I don't know as I've not been on one of his courses. And if I had I wouldn't describe his methods anyway as it is private and for people who attend the courses but you can learn the same exercises at yoga class which is really the best way to learn or from someone who's been to classes.

The Baba Ramdev videos seem a good introduction as he's careful about explaining things as he goes along.

There's a Baba Ramdev video for asthma but it's not in English. It will contain exercises in the Pranayama one .. listen to what he recommends for asthma in that one. Good idea to make notes as you go along I guess and watch what he's doing a lnumber of times..

I can tell you the three exercises that Ravi Shankar uses apparently. But that's all .. to know his teaching method you have to go on one of his courses. I'd think that it might be well worth going on one .. the woman I spoke to thought so but there aren't any scheduled for this area at the moment.

Anyway they are the one I mentioned earlier on ... ujjayi .. 2 .. kapalabhati and .. 3 .. bastrika. The last two exercises shouldn't be practiced by anyone with a hernia, high blood pressure or heart problems the Yoga teachers say..

Kapalabhati

http://www.subodhgupta.com/yogaarticle/Kapalhabhati.html


Kapalabhati video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSm1d1KWmhg

Just pottered off to rajshri.com .. I wish I spoke Hindi. Um .... oh, well .. u never know ... lol!!!!

I hoped the asthma video might be there in English ... but ... no ... but you can buy it in English I found out through Google. I would imagine it's selling well!!! If it's as good as the marketing ploy behind putting it on youtube in Hindi to a huge English speaking audience it should be worth watching.

I'm only doing four or five each of the breaths I've seen while searching through all this .. not all from Baba Ramdev's videos .. at a time. And then leaving it.

Anyway .. on to Bastrika. Women using an IUD shouldn't do this exercise either and best not to do it with a stuffed up nose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUytJJDAHk0

http://theancientschoolofyoga.com/yogic_breathing-pranayama

This covers a few yoga breathing techniques.

Anyway .. there you are .. those are the exercises that it's said are in Ravi Shankar's exercise.

Starting with ujjayi that I mentioned before and ending with a couple of OMS.