Thursday, July 09, 2009

t bags!!

Just been back to have another look at my mouth .. ok, it's far from perfect .. but it's a lot better. I used to wake up with one top arm and one lower side of my face caked in blood and what I guess is this stuff called slough .. slough rhymes with stuff .. sluff!!

Have done some sorting .. taken some pain relief .. I wish that could be sorted out too!!! Apparently there's a new form of very promising pain relief in the pipeline .. more effective than morphine and with few side effects. I don't like morphine really .. it makes you feel tired and it loses a lot of it's analgesic effect after a while. But this new stuff sounded great. Can't remember if I linked to an article about it last time I mentioned it .. can't remember what it was so would have to spend ages looking for it .. though it did come up quickly in a search .. for something else not so long ago .. it would've been to do with morphine,

My brother's not really reacting very well to the new meds .. he's sleeping very well .. but he sounds as if he's exhausted .. much more than he was when he wasn't sleeping much. I guess it's the sedation. I think the mixture he might go on next will be better.

I've done some more sorting .. not so bad once you get down to it. Feel as if I could go to sleep myself though.

I am amazed by my mouth though .. if there was this kind of improvement when my doc looked in my mouth no wonder he looked so surprized cause nothing had happened for so long.

It's hard to understand but the only answer seems to be the teas. It felt for a moment that my tongue was going to get sore again with this last cold but it hasn't!!! That used to be painful.

My breathing has changed a lot today too .. much more movement going on .. to start with I thought it was problems and I was going to call the doc but then I realized I wasn't making that noise cause my breathing had got worse but because it'd got better .. though it is a bit painful ... but it certainly has changed .. think it's making me feel a bit tired though that mightn't be surprizing cause of the extra effort and oxygen. It's making my back itch.

I can't believe it if this is somehow all a result of one or other herbs/spices in my teas. The mouth surely must be though the rest might be coincidence .. after all this has been going on little bit by little bit .. though not the mouth part which is related to a different condition.

I'm so grateful for the teas. I'm not sure that I would have made it without them. I wasn't having the muscle spasms and cramps anymore from sneezing but overall the colds just seemed to be making me feel weaker and weaker.

But ..................

We'll see what happens. Ofcourse I'm wondering what the result of the flu might be. To say I've underlying health problems is a bit of an understatement I guess and I'm on these meds that dampen down your immune system but we shall see.

Will keep on taking the teas.

They say that a lot of people aren't even bothering to go to the docs with the flu because it's so mild. Some haven't even known they've had it.

From now on though .. all things being well .. I'll always keep a bunch of herbal remedies on hand. I've been quite amazed by them up to now. I didn't really expect much to happen at all. I mean .. 1 liquorice tea bag that was only around 40% liquorice anyway .. only brewed for 7 mins to start with .. I left it in for ages after a while I have to admit .. so heaven knows how many that was actually equal to .. I've read with other herbal tea bags , that although the strength goes down a bit each time, you can use them 3/4 times ..especially for the time I was drinking two a day. To start with though it was only the one and just for 7 mins and I did feel a lot better quickly .. after a couple of days.

I'm going to drink lots of tea I think!! But not much liquorice tea even though I didn't have a problem with it before .. though if I feel it's a good idea I'll up me cups to two again.

I do have to say that I haven't had a flu vaccination since I've been on these meds .. and, yes, I have been told off about it!!! And I got through with no more than antibiotics and being in hospital .. but this is different I guess as it's a new strain. But it does show that I'm not totally vulnerable.

Someone has just gone past here with a barking cough .. reminds me of an uncle who must've had one of the loudest coughs. Heavens if he got a tickle in his throat .. much louder than a cold cough cause of the way it was projected on the whole ... we certainly knew about it.

I'm still coldy .. just finished another cup of tea but I'm being more affected by my muscle movement I think. Dunno why but I've been losing quite a bit of water today .. more than you'd expect .. I have a bit extra round my ankles cause of the meds .. not much but a bit and I was wondering if something was happening there too .. it's not pink ... lol!!! I'm not drinking much beet juice anyway at the moment .. so not as alternative as Uncle John .. lol!!!

Drinking liquorice tea is like taking a feel good supplement for me. Not that I've ever come across one of those .. but, it just makes me feel so much better. Why don't they make teabags without this chemical in it .. I noticed that the capsules that had been modified were still being sold as being able to help with colds and flu. Obviously I don't feel brilliant .. but I do feel better. I guess it's because it weakens the virus for a while. Maybe I should be drinking more until I've had this flu. I've me beet juice ... lol!! .. for my potassium and blood pressure plus quickly chopped or chewed garlic .. not my favourite but there you go. I'll start monitoring my blood pressure soon .. and certainly will if I have two teabags ,

I have read that liquorice only raised blood pressure at rather large doses occasionally in a few people .. but I think this is a load of tosh .. what does seem to be as near the truth as I can find it is that eating liquorice over 20g a day regularly could raise your blood pressure. Each Yogi teabag weights 2g of which just under half is liquorice .. so that's just under 1g of liquorice which is soaked in hot water rather than eaten. To make the tea they seem to want you to boil it from the root too so I suppose a teabag soaking would give out less than the root. Don't know if the liquorice gets sticky when its wet but anyway it would be stuck in with the other herbs from what I've seen with my teabags. Adults .. 70 kg can have upto 5g 3 times a day chidren of 20 - 25 kg upto 1.6g 3 times a day.

But that concoction seems to do something .. the yogi tea.

I'd say though still make sure this is ok .. check with ur doc if you take meds .. bung in somethings that are said to reduce blood pressure and raise potassium levels .. and one teabag containing 1g of liquorice a day has been enough for me .. I don't know why it affected my colds the way it did cause it's said to make the action of the corticosteroids stronger so should be weakening my immune system more .. but it looks like it had more of an affect on the virus than me at that dose. It might be a good idea to drink it a couple of hours after taking the steroids though .. ofcourse that could explain why it didn't affect them that much from what I could see .. or it just could've been too little. I take 10g of steroid now along with 2000g of cellcept to replace the original much higher dose.