Saturday, November 12, 2005

Well...........

I have that cd now. I like Janis Ian's music generally and I hadn't heard that album.

It also finally got me remembering a song that I'd totally forgotten. Just a song that I'd liked the ambience of but hadn't liked the song itself enough to want to buy. Think when I'd been checking it out a few years ago I could only find it on a Japanese import. I eventually forgot what the song was altogether, totally, and who sang it. I'd thought for a while that it might have been Janis Ian but rather thought that it wasn't. No one could help me find it because I eventually forgot all the lyrics too, just remembered that there was a single with a sort of spacey sound that I liked the effect of but didn't actually like the song itself.

I checked out Janis Ian and Judie Tzuke. Nope. It came back today. It's Judee Sill singing Jesus Was A Cross Maker. There weren't any audio clips on Amazon to listen to. I was told somewhere else you could go but I've forgotten so there you are. No clip.

She was heavily into religious interpretation. Call it gothic or baroque imagery but really it isn't something I could get into and it's what put me off the song.

I'm not like that all the time. I have a soft spot for The Carter Family and people like that. I'm sad that The Earl Scruggs Review's "Gospel Ship" isn't available anymore cause I really used to love that. I can still remember some of the words.

I'm going to take a trip on that ol' gospel ship
I'm going far beyond the sky
I'm going to shout and sing and ring the glory in
When I kiss this world goodbye.

And there was something about "On board there'll be no cops" but I can't remember that bit.

Used to happily sing along with that. Embarressed smilie.

I still remember reading the most chronic review of that album as if the reviewer couldn't quite believe what he was hearing. I loved it though. I think the only song I wasn't sure about was one called "Wreck On the Ol' Highway" or somnething like that.

I liked "Third Rate Romance" too and fortunately that is on their greatest hits album. Unfortunately the other song I really liked "Passing Through" isn't.

The songs were sung by a lot of people. Can't remember who was on the album along with the Earl Scruggs Review. Don't know if Joan Baez or Dylan was. I suspect most of the songs on the Greatest Hits album are from The Earl Scruggs Review Vol 1 which I actually never heard. The album I had was Volume 2. Volume 1 apparently got better reviews.