Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Malnutrition

Which is what I was actually suffering from. In my case because I wasn't getting the nutrients I needed in the diet I was eating.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4524690.stm

Didn't have all the symptoms described there. But I suppose it affects people in different ways in the earlier stages. And different symptoms will show themselves first in different people depending on different cirumstances.


And even though I'm slim I might also be clinically obese. By this I mean that the ratio of fat to lean tissue in my body might be very unhealthy. I have to admit that my diet has often slid into the unhealthy zone regardless of my knowledge of nutrition. A long time knowledge that goes back to when the book A Diet For A Small Planet was published. At least I think that was what it was called. Something like that. Back in the 70's?

Then when I became a vegan I studied nutrition carefully. Could tell you what vitamins did in the body and what the results of deficiencies were. Could plan meals with precision in my head. Knew the RDA's (recommended daily amounts) of vitamins and minerals.

I used to have pleasantly defined muscles because I was very active and did quite a bit of lifting heavy items. Just diet and lifestyle did that. I used to put on muscle easily. If you're active your body does it naturally and develops a kind of memory that will keep it building muscle rather than storing lots of fat .. if you eat the right kind of diet.