Saturday, December 03, 2005

Newport Folk Festival dvd

I watched the "Festival" dvd,Newport Folk Festival 1963-1966. I bought it because it has a clip of Buffy Sainte Marie on it. I didn't think I was going to like it that much to start off with. I quite like Peter, Paul and Mary and that type of folk but not too much of it and I got seriously worried when The Blue Ridge Mountain dancers came on, soon to be followed by Pete Seeger. Peter, Paul and Mary had been on earlier.

I'm not a great fan of Pete Seeger, infact not a fan at all. Unfortunately the clip of Buffy Sainte Marie came on right after Pete Seeger and then I found out that she was sandwiched between two Pete Seeger songs so there was no escape as there's not an individual artist choice on the dvd, just chapters. So, it's Pete Seeger singing "Green Corn" and then Buffy Sainte Marie singing "Codeine" not two songs that really go together I'd've thought. And I wish they didn't here. Mentally ups her a few chapters on to when Son House is singing.

I was wrong in thinking that I might not like the dvd. I found it brilliant, didn't matter that it was in black and white.

Favourite tracks.

Well, obviously Buffy Sainte Marie, but also Son House, Odetta who was just brilliant, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Donovan, Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry, Mississipi John Hurt, Paul Butterfield, Howling Wolf, Johnny Cash, and The Osborne Brothers who I can't remember hearing before but who just totally fascinated me with their mixture of blues phrasing and country. Will find out more about them.

Track list.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6974870


Links aren't working directly again