Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sunday morning

I'm glad I grew up back in the 60s because it suited me. Not saying that it was perfect or anything because it wasn't. Certainly not the Utopia a lot of people like to think it was. If I was growing up today I know what I'd be like, much more serious than I was then.

Hopefully not downing shit loads of vodka at 15.............. didn't then and hopefully wouldn't these days either.

I was saying to someone the other day that while they're reporting about boys doing badly at school the girls could be dashing down to meet them if fashion doesn't change. With the boys a lot seems to be culture where for some learning is seen as boring and sissy. The girls just might be drinking their way down in some places. Alcohol messes up womens bodies quicker than guys.

Don't know what I'd do as a parent. Probably a mixture of being strict and talking. Someone I knew told her daughter to leave home a few months ago because she was drinking, stealing and was becoming violent at home. This'd started at 15 and she'd tried to get help but talking therapy can be thin on the ground these days. The police hadn't been helpful which hadn't been good for anyone concerned. Infact no one seemed to be there to help. The courts neither. The violence had been the final straw.

The girl wasn't happy but hopefully it'll change things for her. Talking to someone else who knew someone who this had happened to as well said that having to fend for herself had changed her life for the better. Though I think the girl who's just left home has far more problems because of the violence. I suspect to herself too. Still no help was offered, rather the reverse.

I suppose, to some extent it depends where you live, regardless of how much they talk about the UK binge drinking culture. Some places don't seem to have the problems others do from what I can make out.

Well, still listening to T Rex.