Monday, January 05, 2009

Monday

Blogger was a bit on the slow side for a while there ... unlike me today. Well, maybe that's not quite true .. but I did manage to walk a bit further than I had for a while and have two bags of salt and vinegar popcorn to show for it .. and they were on special offer ... lol!!! A week ago it looked as if things were going backwards healthwise .. but I dunno .. it's difficult to tell what's going on really.

It's still really dodgy in the mornings though. Got out yesterday evening and this morning though I was much too late this morning .. woke up very late after a bad night's sleep the night before.

Am back where I was a couple of years ago in another respect .. going over a legal matter. Sigh .. didn't really want to have to do this .. but, there you go .. the truth will out in the end I guess. Was going to write my letters on Sunday but decided to wait til Wednesday and just as well that I did because more and more has been coming back ito my head .. I threw my notes away ages ago. Sadly the story is even less pleasant now. Again .. if it'd been left for just a while longer I wouldn't have to be sorting it out now. It'll be interesting in some ways. I mean I knew that it was nasty and mean and bad but i had't really stopped to think just how nasty and mean and bad because time had gone by and I thought ok .. with my health the way it is might as well leave it .. but, blow me down, something has come up where I have to go into it plus developments since then. I'll make me notes tomorrow and have it done by the end of the week. Think I've thought of everything now .. there shouldn't be an "everything" .. it's really not good .. but, there you are .. such is life. Can remember going through this all a couple of years back .. well .. here we are again .. but fortunately I can remember everything .. it's not going to take the legal form it was then .. this is much simpler. I think I might've left it too long for that now anyway .. can't remember the time limit. This is just a little thing.

Still sorting out here .. bit difficult though as the bins haven't been emptied for a while. met a guy from home this evening when I went out for a cup of hot chocolate .. lol ... he was out for a pint or two. Found out he wasn't well and had been in hospital too .. though over Christmas .. had quite a natter and bought him a pint to help with the next lot of treatment but then had to come back for dinner. Will be back fer a mug of cocoa sometime .. lol.

Really wish him all the best.

Am having to stay up a bit longer than I would like this evening cause I forgot to take me meds with me when I went out for my cup of hot chocolate and don't want to miss taking them so I'll be up to one again.

Am pleased with the day though .. never thought I'd do what I did today again .. only walked one way though .. well, with all that iciness walking back as well wouldn't've been a good idea. Chatted on the bus on the way back.

Hope I'll finish my book this evening. It's been a sad book, I guess, for lots of reasons. Don't think there was one bit of it that really left you feeling good about things. My next book will be a science book, I bought from the Oxfam bookshop, called Complexity ... published in 1992 .. it is a book that had people complaining that it concentrated too much on the scientists rather than on the science .. and the title "Complexity" was a little misleading as the book had maybe over simplified things by including too much biographical material. Other people thought it was a brilliant book, especially as an introduction. I expect that I'll enjoy it.

The back cover:

"Scientists in many different disciplines are increasingly sharing an impatience with the kind of linear, reductionist thinking that has dominated science since the time of Newton. Instead, they are gathering novel ideas anout interconectedness, coevalueation, chaos. structure and order - and they are forging them into an entirely new, unified way of thinking about nature, human social behaviour, life and the universe itself.

They want to know how a primordial soup of simple molecules managed to turn itself into the first living cell - and what the origin of life some four billion years ago can tell us about the process of technological innovation today. They want to know why ancient ecosystems often remain stable for millions of years, only to vanish in a geological instant - and what such events have to do with the collapse of Communism in the 1980s. They want to know why the eoonomy can behave in unpredictable ways that economists can't explain, and also how the random process of Darwinian natural selection managed to produce such wonderfully intricate structures such as galaxies, stars, planets, bacteria, plants, animals and brains. There are common threads in all these queries, and a diverse group of scientists is seeking to understand them.

As stimulating and thought provoking as James Gleick's Chaos, Complexity is their story: the upredictable and human story of how science really happens. Most of all, however, complexity is the story of how scientists are begining to forge the sciences of the twenty first century".

I read some of the latest New Scientist while I was having my hot chocolate ... about friedship .. the cover story. Found it iteresting as I'd been thinkig about things like that myself because of the woman who had been in my life. Will read it again before I comment on it .. there were quite a few statistics quoted and I can't remember them all off the top of my head. It tied in with something else that I'd been thinking about too and seemed to confirm what I'd thought .. not so much about friendship but about how parts of identities may be formed to an extent. Have to read it again though.

Anyway can take my meds now and turn in.