Sunday, February 08, 2009

Sunday

Not a good day. Didn't have much sleep last night and then woke up feeling rotten. Sneezed a bit later on and it was a bad sneeze which left me in a lot of pain and feeling sick .. though i wasn't sick. Didn't have to go into hospital though I would've done if it'd got much worse. Didn't get worse though and started easing off after about quarter of an hour .. though I've obviously got a swollen stomach.

Read the article in New Scientist about people and religion. Didn't take that much of it in really cause I was so tired and my body was gearing up for this morning's trouble.

I've always thought that a lot of diffrent things have gone into creating religious thought I don't think it's a huge step in thinking to look at the world around you and then at your own life and see yourself and other people creating things to looking at the world and imagining someone creating that. And once you have a creator of the world then you have someone who could have power over it. Dreams and events like OBEs and ADC would bring about a belief in life after life because there appears to be consiousness outside the physical.

I read an article years ago that said that it was thought that people who lived around and before the times of the Ancient Greeks had a different relationship with the world through their minds and that this could be seen through their religious stories ... this included the ancient Egyptians too and their complicated religion. It was thought they lived in a kind of "dreamtime" that made it easier to personalize a god/dess and feel yourself loser to a possible world where they exist.

Wish I could remember more about it .... but it was just a newspaper or magazine article that I skimmed through and I think I can only remember the article now because I was so surprized. I thought them much too modern to have such a different way of seeing things because their brains were thought to be still evolving. Because of this and the obvious fact that our brains have evolved over time I wasn't so happy about the thought of using modern pre schoolers to test how people might have thought all that time ago. We don't know when religious thought and awe became part of the human psyche nor do we know for sure how close their thinking was to ours. I used the idea of people creating things then looking for a creator of the world because it is such an easy step to make in thinking all that time ago.

I think lots of people thought something like that. There were various theories and I should imagine that every one or, at least, most of them probably reflect something that influenced people along the way whether it was right at the start or not.

Anyway, off to bed .. hope I get some sleep.