Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Every picture tells a story

Found a picture of my brother and a friend of his from back in the 70s .. he told me that she went off to India on the hippy trail to learn more about life. I didn't though I think I would've liked to but it wasn't really part of my life. The Beatles and Donovan went to see Maharishi Mahesh Yogi who they later fell out with saying he was too materialistic. What he actually did was to introduce transendental meditation to the West in 1959 .. the year my younger brother was born .. he died in The Netherlands last year the day before my father's birthday .. so all very easy for me to remember .... aded 91. He'd read maths and physics at university then after studying yoga brought transcendental meditation to the West.

It was seen as a stress reduction technique. I have no idea what it's like really. I do know that it's said that it can leave a person a bit dazed afterwards and that it can bring repressed feelings out so people could find themselvesw feeling quite angry.

I lost interest in TM when I read that it could have some negative results.

I used to meditate using a mantra .. but mine was just med .. i .. tate repeated over and over to stop my mind wandering .. or to try to anyway ... lol!!!. Have to say that I never felt angry or dazed .. so I guess I was doing something different from TM!!! You can feel a bit twitchy to start with when you first start meditating because the body is releasing tensions as it's learning to relax in this way. It shouldn't last for many sessions. I didn't meditate for that long either.

TM must be far removed from ordinary meditation because The Maharishi must've thought that it could influence events .. British TM meditators proved it couldn't ... lol .. when they were asked to meditate The Labour Party out of power and they got back in again ... lol.

I don't know how it affects the personality .. probably not at all .. from what I know he had to be quite vain as he called himself The Maharishi which means Great Seer in Sanskrit and Donovan's old web pages went on about Donovan being a great musician which I found rather off putting .. and someone else had remarked on the same kind of thing after going to see him .. but George Harrison was very into all this as well for all his life and it's said that he was the opposite in personality. I didn't know anyone who practiced The Maharishi's particular brand of meditation.

Told my brother that I'd found this photo of him and this young woman .. it was taken during work experience .. he remembered it and said he'd like it and told me the story behind the photo.