Saturday, August 15, 2009

Pain and pain relief.

Generally speaking I'm not in as much pain as I used to be in. I guess, as far as the muscle and bone side of things go, things have improved a lot since the days when I could only walk as far as Waterstones without a rest .. though I had to rest because it was difficult to breathe then as well because my lungs were so constricted. But there was a lot of pain too then as well.

In those days the morphine worked much better because my body hadn't become so accustomed to it. I'm on heaps of the stiff now. Don't like it because it makes me feel pretty drowsy during the day while not being able to actually all asleep for long at night.

Once I get home I'll probably start trying herbal sleeping remedies .. I'd prefer to use them rather than sleeping pills if I can. Will try a dose of night nurse first at home to see if that will help .. it has before. If not .. I'll only take two or three dises at the most .. I'll try the herbal sleeping remedies.

My brother knows someone who finds valerian helps him .. grinds it up himself with a pestle and mortar.

As for the pain .. I can't take any more morphine really because I'm already on over a gram a day. I'm hoping that in a few months that the pain from my muscles will be even less and then I can start to decrease the dose I'm on very slowly. Apparently there are herbs that can help you withdraw from morphine .. ginseng is one I believe .. something to do with the receptors in the brain.

Then I can start looking at pain relief for my auto immune illness ahain.

I haven't started my new pain relief tablets yet just incase there's a problem with them. Will try those out when I get home too.

My tummy's been rather troublesome this evening because of the muscle movement but I know it's only temporary at this level. With the muscles there's often about three days during which the muscles move slightly again which, after what happened and the length of time they've been like this, can cause extra pain. Sometimes it's a lot worse than others.

Might try tumeric I guess while I'm waiting to try out the other pain relief I guess. Hopefully the new pain med might help me cut down the morphine too.

Once your body stops being used to taking so much morphine the drug starts working on the pain again for a while as the body loses. it's tolerance to the dose you've just cut out.

It would be very nice to be on a much lower dose of morphine.