Sunday, August 16, 2009

The vaccine

I had already decided not to go for the vaccine. Was talking about my morphine making me feel tired in my last post .. and it certainly does. It just leaves you lacking in energy.

I'm also on meds, as you know, that can cause tumour growth and also there was a chance that I could've had a reaction to them that would've killed me in a few weeks. It's rare but could still have happened. Also they increase the risk of skin cancer and liver disease .. amongst other things.

Hopefully I'll soon be on a smaller dose than I am now. They have been reduced recently.

Because of the strain my body's already under I've decided not to go for the swine flu vaccine. I think I've had the flu anyway. Someone said to me here, in the street, that the feeling of cold had been a common symptom here .. or words to that effect. And I was saying last night that I'd never felt anything like it before in my life. I've had cold feet before when I've been ill but never anything like what I was feeling that morning.

Guess I'd caught the flu the day before .. I've been told that I would know almost immediately if I did catch it because I'm already feeling ill and I'd just start feeling noticeably different and worse .. wouldn't be infectious just that it would be such an added strain on my system that I'd start feeling very different and ill very quickly. That must've been this incredible total body sensation of icy freezing cold.

I got up and staggered to the bathroom and sat under the warm air heater for a while to warm up. Warmed through again after about quarter of an hour though still felt dazed and confused by what had happened. Got my meds sorted out and bunged down various herbs and spices in different forms and hoped for the best.

Had no idea what had happened .. there was no sign of a new cold and anyway this didn't feel like any cold or bug I'd had before or that I'd read about.

Got breakfast sorted too. Was soon feeling a lot better. Wasn't exactly warm .. had cold feet and was a bit cooler than usual.

If I had picked the bug up very recently .. say the day before because that seemed to be what would be expected in my case because it would just make me feel ill rather than coldy and I wouldn't be infectious at that stage .. was just buckling under the strain of having the flu virus at all.

The virus wouldn't get far with me I guess in that way.

I didn't know at then about going feeling ill very quickly though .. found out about that later when I wondered if I'd been exposed to the virus and phoned for advice. Still don't know as the profession group who should have dealt with this didn't phone me back to let me know what the situation was. I've been advised to complain to the council so that it's not dealt with this way again. They weren't medical people but they still should've had this sorted out. The medical people I know were furious about what happened. I will sort it out but it may take til after I'm home. I did contact the professional group twice .. once to tell them what had happened and then to tell them what my doc had to say about the situation and how it had put seriously ill people at risk and what to do.

Never heard a peep out of them about it but I should've done in the circumstances.

Fortunately I think I've had the virus .. can't be 100% sure ofcourse .. but people think it's very likely.

It's most likely I'd've picked it up from what I'd bought or while I was out the day before and had started to feel ill relatively quickly .. not that I was aware that would happen at the time .. found that out because of this other incident later on.

Kept myself covered pretty well in the right spots with the hand gel cause I was doing that anyway and as soon as there were possible symptoms .. sneezes .. stayed in.

Whatever it was it was very, very strange but it seems that there is often a feeling of intense cold attached to the swine flu bug. I've warned people that this could be a possible symptom and that it could possibly come early on ..very early on if you're in my kind of position.

My two friends in London who caught it said they had feelings of chills but not quite like the total coldness that I felt but they certainly had chills that were pretty cold.

Anyway .. that's how things started.

I think it most likely was the flu .. though my symptoms were very light .. amazing comsidering the dose of immune suppressants I'm on. I it was the flu I should've stopped my cellcept at the first sign of symptoms .. but there you go. That is what the drug company who makes them has decided .. at least for my type of illness .. don't know about all illnesses.

Whatever .. I think, in my case, it might not be a very good idea to have the vaccine after weighing up both sides of the situation