Thursday, August 02, 2007

Well, I've got through today reasonably well. I can't control the pain that well but I did manage to walk down town and get my veggie hot pots and veggie sausages and beans. Also some packs of lentils and daal to cook myself. Ofcourse bought some packs of spices too. All ready to go there again. You can just cook up what you like to your own taste. I love veggie curries and daal. Also like the fact that turmeric probably keeps the brain ticking over rather nicely. Reading that .. about seven or so years ago .. has kept me fond of the spice.

Told someone today about manuka honey. Also about getting little bottles of handscrub from the chemist and using the bottle at the end of the bed before eating if you want in hospital. I always think of hibiscrub .. but you have to wash that off if I remember rightly. That's from a long time ago but apparently they still make it. Anyway I'm glad I could let her know cause she's been a good friend to me. Just one of those things.

Been writing a bit. Done a bit of sorting. Got a veggie hotpot for dinner etc. Some of getting better really is down to eating well .. sort of giving the medication a helping hand.

I had an interesting chat with someone who'd helped someone who hadn't been taking hers. She was on some kind of neuroleptic medication and she hadn't taken it and needed help. Luckily she'd ended up in that shop where they knew her and could help her.

They say that one in ten children in the UK has a mental health problem these days. Suppose they are referring to anxiety and things like that as well as the more serious illnesses, though I'm not sure if anxiety comes under mental illnesses. Have to ask someone on that one, my knowledge tends to veer more towards personality disorders and when I was learning about that it was 1 in around 100 for men and about half that for women with the added proviso for women that this might be thought less for them because they expressed it in a different way, which wasn't being monitored by the tests and knowledge of the day, rather than there were actually less. That might've all changed in the last twenty or so years though.

I do my eye exercices every day now!!!!! Just once a day for now. I'm glad I read that. Maybe they do work. Guess you have to take care of your health if you want it to work for you. Meditation apparently helps with concentration, the eye exercises with memory and eating turmeric may stop platelets forming that contribute to some forms of dementia. Not that I'll probably have to worry much about the latter cause my illness will probably get me before I develop that. Guess I'll have me senior moments .. but then I have me younger friends talking about their worries about short term memory probs to me .. I'm really not sure if they expect too much from themselves or not. But, I suspect I'll have passed over before dementia comes my way.

They say 60 is the new 40. Keep on waggling your eyes people. I just think really that you can keep your interests going in life for as long as you are able and that there are lots of options now regardless. Evening classes, senior citizens clubs that cater for all kinds of interests etc., etc. I know that my youth has stayed with me all my life, influencing me to a certain degree. I loved a lot of the music, think my political interest stems from some of the youth culture as does my interest in meditation and things like that. While not a Beatles fan, I watched George Harrison's easternwards looking. I think I was lucky because so much of what was around interested me. Got into crafts, yoga, meditation, sport through judo. And though I moved on with the years. I like music so have always followed what's been going on to some degree which means I've always been vaguely interested in youth culture which is just as well or I wouldn't really understand what my younger friends have had to say over the years as I've moved generations away from the youth culture of the time. They've been interested in what went on in the past at times and I'm interested in what they've had to say too.

What does interest me is that on some levels nothing much seems to change really. I was chatting about that with one of my friends who wants to be a doctor (16 year old guy) a a couple of days ago and he said he could see the similarities. I have little idea though of what I'd be doing if I'd been born into his generation and living with today's deals in life. I am dealing with them obviously because I'm here but not at such a young age.

I look back to my youth. I was never part of the "hope I'll die before I get old" brigade. I had older friends as well as people of my own generation. Going back more into the beat generation before the mods 'n' rockers etc. Back pre that generation too, had friends from the 20s right through. Learning about the arts, music and cultures then.

They used to find it interesting and a bit amusing when I used to come rushing back from jumble sales with my finds from the 20s/30s/40s with my friends. We were never quite sure if some things were evening wear or night wear. They were so beautiful .. sort of Bibaish things. They just looked like long dresses. I saw an art student wearing one a few years ago but you don't see many around now. She had long red hair and was wearing a pale pink dress (probably a nightie in the era it was made), just below the knees one this time, patterned with sprigs of pale flowers on it.

My best find, well, to my mind, was the velvet flowers. So many that we shared them though I saved a lot of the purple ones. Loved purple then too. Made bracelets and things and they went very well with Bibaish things.

T'was fun!!! Jumblesalesing was often on a Saturday afternoon if you could make it and people'd often pick up things for you if they thought you'd like them if you couldn't. And, ofcourse, if you didn't, and nobody else wanted them, the material was there to make patchwork stuff with.

Seems some of this is still "popular" in the States, making patchwork stuff etc. it seems from what I've learnt on the net, with some people. More popular than fashionable I guess. People just enjoy doing it. Not to the extent it was in my younger days I'd think, but I might be wrong there as far as post-teens people go, but people are doing handicraft stuff.

I haven't been inspired, not enough hours in the day especially as I am right now, but I would like to make a patchwork quilt. Idea's in my head from the net but I won't but I could make a few pieces and give them to others who are.

Fashion? Well, it's a mighty big world out there!!!! But I've bin amazed travelling round the States via the net and seeing just how varied things are.

Must get some rest I guess. Gotta take the calcium pill and me pain relief. Four minutes to go!!!!!

Darts off.