Saturday, January 26, 2008

Saturday

Well, not a bad day really. Up and down stairs twice with the rubbish and two trips along to the main street without feeling too bad. I still rest at Waterstones which makes things easier. Today the first bit of the journey was the most difficult while my body adjusted to the changes since I'd last been out so sitting down after a few minutes walking helped a lot. Coming back I started getting noticeably breathless for a couple of minutes before I got in .. not sure how much of that was due to lugging a heavish paper + supplements and a couple of bottles of disinfectant spray or if it was just due to having been on my feet quite a bit outside of the flat with no support other than my stick. I'd decided against the paper on my earlier trip cause of the weight but thought it'd be ok along with the disinfectant on the later one. Well, it was really. I sat down as soon as I got in and my breathing was back to normal within three minutes. Not so bad, huh!!

Slowly sorting things out so that I'm ready to go when I'm well enough. Things packed in boxes and cases. Night times are quite painful as lying down stretches my back out and it's got more noticeable over the past few days .. I've had a cold so that probably added to my aches and pains a bit but it's more than that as I can hear clicks as it stretches out which it wasn't doing before so it seems as if that's more on the move too.

The cold had made me quite bleary too. My mahjong levels were down but this evening I was quite happily playing as I was before and chatting on the phone at the same time so I guess the cold's over.

Apparently lots of people my age are playing games on the computer of various kinds hoping to keep the brain active. Hopefully it'll work. I know that a little while after doing that couple of weeks with lumosity things seem to have improved, well, without being sniffly and bunged up with a cold. Not just with the mahjong either but there was a noticeable difference with a sound/visual memory game I play with birds twittering.

http://www.tldsb.on.ca/Schools/GrandviewPS/Room_108/pattern/memory.html

I know mum and dad used to play cards and scrabble and read to keep alert .. dad was ok but mum developed an illness which the form of dementia she had sometimes accompanies so there was little if anything she could do to keep it at bay. I guess when people talk about not developing dementia they usually mean Altzheimers with that developing independently of anything else.

Still reading my book. Bought another too as I've said I'll lend one out. Well, it worked out at four for the price of one or near enough anyway at The Works!! It's interesting to read other people's viewpoints.