Sunday, May 25, 2008

Another article I haven't read

Someone told me last night that there's an article in the Big Issue .. this week I guess as he hasn't mentioned it before .. by Steve Winward saying that he thinks that the sixties were a mistake .. looking at society as it is now.

http://stevewinwood.com/

http://www.myspace.com/165744497

I haven't read the article .. bit like the Time one, huh, but I guess he'd be talking from quite a different perspetive from me anyway because his life would have been very different from mine .. in fact his life would have been much like a lot of peoples in the entertainment business in the last century .. if you look back to the era of the silent films you find it was much the same. Maybe illegal drugs took the place of alcohol for some people but it was a generally peaceful time .. though that surface peace was hiding a lot of things that were going on underneath which I don't know how common they were before the 60s .. but I'd imagine they were much the same even if it was expressed in a different way. But a lot of that was the legacy of the years before.

I wonder what things would have been like if the self help groups that were around before the GLC was abolished bt the Tories in the 80s. I wrote something about all that in my first blog but haven't got the disc with me at the moment so can't look it up .. it's only by someone saving it for me that I have it at all. I think it would've been better if they'd've been expanded rather than having funding withdrawn. Though ofcourse Labour weren't totally innocent of closing down community projects in the years before the GLC was abolished .. some people might remember the closing down of the community in Winchester Mews in Camden in the 70s .. OK .. so it was being squatted .. but these people had ploughed a lot of money into renovations and opened workshops, organised festivals and had a youth club and other youth organisations and a wholefood cafe.

OK they were squatting but losing them meant that a peaceful community who did something for the community was lost.

This has just reminded me of Notting Hill's Frestonia too .. now can you see something like that happening today ... maybe that could have been the legacy of the 60s. As time went on things became more violent .. not that there wasn't violence in those days .. there was but it was far from the whole story. I suppose that it might have been around the time that the American guy wrote his recommendations that things really started falling apart.

http://www.tonysleep.com/frestonia

I'll have to read the article in the Big Issue though cause Steve Winward might be focusing on something a lot different.

It's a pity some of the ideas that did come out of left wing policies at the time weren't preserved and taken through. I suppose it might have been around the time the American guy wrote the article that warned this country that what had happened in the States would eventually happen here and gave suggestions what to do about it was published here. Ironic .. huh!!!