Monday, June 30, 2008

Another report

Oh, well .. another day .. another report. This time saying that adults in the UK are more wary of the kids here than in any other European country. I don't know if wary is the right word in my opinion .. it's just difficult to interact with so many of them because they appear so immature for their ages compared to a lot of previous generations.

I never thought that I'd say anything like this and I've never felt it before and I'm almost 60 now .. I've been fine with the kids all along but now a days they seem so childish in comparison to other generations .. that's the biggest change I can see.

I don't like talking like this because it seems like you're saying that all the kids here are like this .. there are some great kids out there but there are also a lot of very immature ones. As I said I've had no problem with the generations til this one and the difference seems to be this glaring immaturity. Though there are children out there who are quite the opposite .. so some people are getting it right .. maybe they should be listened to.

The report, commisioned by The Children's Society, seems to point to the celebrity culture here as the root of the problem. I still don't quite understand what this celebrity culture is .. I can't quite get my head around being obsessed with other people that you don't know. Is this something to do with not being able to trust their peers and not having adults with them for much time on a personal basis that other reports have pointed to.

These reports are coming out one after another but there are also reports where the kids are saying that they're happy here generally.

The reality is they do have more chances than ever before in history .. there is so much out there to help them .. if they want it. Obviously they have to buckle down and work .. but, that's always been the way of things. School is the gateway to the rest of your life. Not just work but how you see life and your future interests that fill in time like art and reading about things that interest you.

The blame for the state of things here seems to oscillate between the kids and the parents. Woot .. so not having any kids means that this is nothing to do wiv me then. lol!!! So many people I know with kids now say that no way are there kids going to hang out on street corners .. but, what are they going to replace this with .. there was something else that I read today that pointed to the fact that kids don't want to be out so much now .. not like we did .. but, that this is creating another problem and that they're finding it difficult to interact socially with other people.

I thought when I read the part about adults in the UK being more wary of kids here is because it's difficult to interact with a forteen year old who's acting as if they about seven or eight. I know teenagers are teenagers but this latest bunch really do seem different .. on the whole .. there are some who are making it through very nicely .. but that's not the overall impression that I get.

I know that back in my day a lot was hidden. I know a lot about that too as I ran away from home for a while and had to fend for myself .. my teenage years were an eye openner .. but, in retrospet I guess they helped give me the perseverance I have now. But, still, knowing all that and how things were in those times I still think there is something going on that I haven't seen before.

I still don't quite get the celebrity culture. I have noticed that comparing almost everything to something someone in the public eye is doing is getting everywhere .. even magazines like Woman. I really don't get it.