Sunday, September 14, 2008

Not sleeping

Having a hard time getting to sleep as me stomach's not too good .. maybe I shouldn't have gone out after the sneeze.

There are other treatments to try and get the auto immune illness under control but from what I've been told they're more toxic than what I've already been on. It took a long time to get me to the point I'm at now which isn't too good. Had to search through history to find the the new pamphlet I'd been reading .. it turns out to be a doctors rather than a patients one which is why the one I was given was different. Glad I've read it though .. the statistics are very interesting. While I was searching through the cellcept info I discovered that it's also used for lupus .. another illnesses quite like mine .. and another one that can also be brought on by the sun.

I had been put on another steroid sparing drug before cellcept .. azathioprine I think .. anyway they were small round yellow pills rather than largish oblong mauve ones like the cellcept but I had an allergy to them and they made me very stiff and swell up. More so than the steroids. The cellcept etc are steroid sparing drugs which they put you on so that you don't have to take very large quantities of the corticosteroids which in such large doses are considered more toxic than the steroid sparing drugs strange though it may seem. I was reading one guy saying he didn't like being on cellcept because of it's cancer causing properties but obviously it's better than nothing. He has lupus. If I didn't take them I would have died very quickly I guess. They start you on the corticosteroids first in large quantities because they work faster than the steroid sparing drugs but then try and keep you on a small dose of corticosteroids and a larger dose of the steroid sparing drug.

I had read that the illness is more common in women than men but after reading lots of info about it it seems that it's equally distributed. Lupus is more common in women though and usually starts relatively young where as my illness, though anyone can develop it usually starts in middle age or older. I found another similar illness yesterday too .. not an auto immune one but that shows itself in a very similar way. Don't know if that one was sun related too. Didn't read much about it.

Hmmm . did a prednisolone test .. the corticosteroid I take .. and discovered that this thins the skin.

I'm not going to complain about it all though .. it's obviously helped me .. guess it has to be very potent to get the illness sorted out as much as possible.


Right off to try and get some sleep again .. my stomach is still moving.. but they're just slight spasms not the type that were making me sick and landing me back in hospital. Feels very strange though.