Friday, January 23, 2009

Friday

The book is an interesting one .. not that keen on some of the biographical bits where he's describing peoples personalities .. the way it's written doesn't quite gel with me for some reason or other. One thing's for sure though and that is that their interests carry them through and that they are very interested and into what they're doing.

I liked this bit .. if I an find it!!!! lol!!! If I can't I'll just have to scrub this!!! Found it .. Right, there's a few paragraphs: Kauffman and his collaborators published their results in 1986. Farmer and Packard had already moved on to other interests by that point - although Farmer had taken on a graduate student, Richard Nagley, to amplify the model and speed it up substantially. And Kaufman himself had gone on to think about other ways in whih self-organization could have occured in evolution. But after the computer model, he felt more deeply than ever that he had truly come face to face with the secret of the Old One.

He remembers taking a solo hike back up into the Sierras near Lake Tahoe to one of his favourite spots, Horsetail Falls. It was a lovely summer day, he realls. He sat on a rock by the falls, thinking about his autoatalysis work and what it meant. "And suddenly," he says, "I knew that God had revealed to me a part of how the universe works." Not a personal God, certainly, Kauffman had never been able to believe in suh a being. "But I had a holy sense of a knowing universe, a universe unfolding, a universe of which we are priviledged to be part. In fact, it was quite the opposite of a vainglorious feeling. I felt that God would reveal how the world works to anyone who cared to listen."

"It was a lovely moment," he says, "the closest I've ever come to a religious experience."

Nice to read. I don't think that the universe is just going to hand over it's secrets to anyone who cares to listen or is interested .. but I think I know, to some extent what he felt, a sort of feeling at one with the universe.

Anyway .. I'm off to bed now .. taking my soup but leaving my book cause if I start reading I'll be up even longer.