Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thursday

Not been feeling that well tonight so stayed up .. thought I had a sneeze coming .. but it didn't happen. Not that sneezing means what it did .. well, not for the last few months anyway. I can hardly believe that things have changed .. not without a lot of hard work .. and, there's still a long way to go .. but, at least that's stopped.

Read a bit of New Scientist this evening .. didn't feel well enough to concentrate that well .. so will go back to it tomorrow. Charle Darwin was on the cover as he is on a lot of magazines this month.

The editorial started with a quote that was similar to one mentioned in the book I'm reading .. Lord Kelvin saying in 1900 that everything had been discovered in physics now ,, can't remember who the person quoted in my book was .. though it wasn't Albert Michelson who said much the same thing .. so I guess that it was quite a popular viewpoint. The author had mentioned it to show how rigid science and other subjects could become.

Complexity seems to be the way forward now for all of these subjects .. all looking to each other to help. I was told today that Warwick University has just started a course on the subject.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/cross_fac/comcom/dtcsite/video

And they recommend the book I was told about.

It's so fascinating .. I think physics side is the most fascinating ... can't imagine not being interested in how all this came about .. or, trying to fathom it out. Along with lots of other things in life .. but it's a lifetime's fascination.

Kind of tied in with an interest in the ossibility of life after life. I would've loved to know exatly what Charles Darwi did think on the subjet .. in detail. What did he think of the people I read about in the book I was reading before .. the Victorian religious sects who were investigating and/ or interested in the subject. Why did he think what he did? why had he changed his mind? Had he ever had a OBE (lol .. I've given up on that for myself. I don't have sleep paralysis anymore .. it was just a couple of times and I don't really want it back again just to have a personal experience of an OBE!!! .. sure if I did I was instictively try to wake myself up anyway without thinking of OBEs ... I don't think my curiousity would over ride it. Still, my brothrt's had a couple so I'll rely on him, .. I know he's for real. Perhaps I could have a laboratory simulated version of one .. not the same I know but it would give a vague idea of something like that).

My belief is that the physical wasn't the only thing evolving.

Next week in the magazine we have mysteries of the solar system .. the six biggest mysteries in our backyard.

I find it strange that people aren't interestd in scienCe these days after all it's about the biggest mystery of all .. why is there anywhere. Some people don't even appear to have any idea what it is at all. I was told that the schools have a difficult time interesting people in science. Obviously the kids I know are interested in it at least in their academic lives. I find it strange that people aren't .. partiularly with climate change with us.

There's an interview with James Lovelock in the latst edition of New Scientist too .. author of Gaia .. talking about the fate of the planet. He thinks burying carbon is the way out of the situation .. he also thinks that it won't happen cause people won't bother.

He also talked about climate change 55 million years ago, probably due to massive volcanic eruptions, where creatures started migrating northwards. In Madagascar the lizards are already moving.

He says that change is even noticeable in the UK .. I saw trees in blossom a few weeks ago .. only a little blossom but blossom all the same.

He's going on a trip into space this year .. hope he takes lots of photos and comes back with lots of observations and things to tell us about it.

I'm turning in now. Still not feeling at all well .. but I'm just so tired.