Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Still not back then!!!!!!!!

Well, last night nothing I clicked on was affected and having just clicked back on previous videos I found the ones I couldn't see were one by Vince Gill when he was singing with someone else. I don't know who it was though I guess I could go to another video hosting site and find out. The other is a David Essex one.

I guess it has dented my interest in youtube a bit though cause I'm not sure when I click on some videos if they're going to be available but in time, if this isn't sorted out, I'll know which is going to mean a lack of interest in the music and Youtube. More a lack of interest in the music I guess cause how long are the other hosting sites going to be able to play these videos for.

Guess a lot of the videos that can't be shown on Youtube will be on the musician's own fan sites.

The Vince Gill one I tried wasn't playable from other sites .. other versions of the song came up even though the thumbnail to click was a picture of the video that Youtube won't play in the UK. He was singing with other people on this video.

It'll affect the musicians the most I guess cause there's plenty of good music out there. I was listening to things on the Universal Music Group page that I usually wouldn't have. Went there because of the Vince Gill video. Though I found another version of the David Essex song on their home page which wouldn't play . Just got the message .. this video is not available in your country. It was a recent live version of the song that I clicked on first that wouldn't play but found other recent videos that would play.

Mum used to like David Essex's songs. Wasn't really my type of music but she loved musicals so I can see why she did.

I don't get the PRS .. surely this won't do the musicians affected any good at all. Youtube is promotion At the moment I'm a bit fed up with the row haven't been over to Youtube as much as I often am though have been playing my favourite songs now and then.

Surely this isn't going to be good for anyone though. If the PRS is marginalised for searches for new bands on the web it isn't going to do UK music any good at all .. infact it's going to create a very weird split in the industry. I think it's a great idea to have youtube involved in finding music .. sort of music by the people for the people with the people who'll be listening giving the thumbs up over the web from all over the world to bands from all over the world. Seems some are going to be marginalized now and it does seem a bit like stabbing yourself in the foot. It's free publicity that's growing all the time and if they become scouts and promotors too the site's going to be massive. Well, anyway, you'd think so.

I clicked on this morning half expecting the music to be back up again and to be told that talks would be back on their way with the hope of soon reaching some kind of agreement. After all Youtube is there for all sides of the equation .. music fans .. the musicians .. other aspects of the business .. and, hopefully, eventually for Youtube itself.