Tuesday, June 16, 2009

herbs and spices

The new pain relief didn't work .. had quite a bad effect and I've decided to hand me bottle of pills back to the chemist and leave it at that.

Actually made me feel suicidal .. and when I looked up the list of side effects .. found this was one of them. Not a rational thinking things through .. but a flattening and lowering of emotions .. I could quite easily have picked up a bottle of pills and taken the lot and not cared a bit.

Topical at the moment cause apparently tamiflu can have a similar effect .. I knew my feeling like that must be a side effect from the new medication so checked it out .. and it appeared very likely that it was so I knew that I just had to sit it out .. just as I had to the tremours and dizziness. The worst was over in about 4 hours.

Won't be taking that again. It's fine for some people .. but I've been reading quite a few stories from other people who had quite a few side effects from it.

Never again.

Looked at the black elderberry remedies this afternoon .. but, after this morning, thought ... no ... lol!!! Don't think so .. though with other remedies that counteract the bad effect for a panademic flu .. usually there wouldn't be this worry .. it's the lack of immunity and an immune system that might fight back too hard that's the problem.

Chinese liquorice is a herb that counteracts a bit of this effect I believe though I'm not sure if it corresponds with the bits the black elderberry boosts or just part of the same system.

Just put the kettle on for a cup of tea.

Some of, if not all, of my friends have put away some liquorice tea bags,star anise, ginger and have some fresh garlic at hand. Seems like a good idea.

I believe the Chinese government is advising people to use star anise in their cooking more often at the moment .. but I don't really know how much good that would do .. it takes a long time to extract the ingredient from the star anise plant and then it's only part of a complicated chemical reaction that goes to make tamiflu .. but still I bung a star or two in my team It's important to use the chinese star anise for cookery rather than japanese star anise used for decoration.

Doubt that it helps much, if at all .. but it seems a good thing to add. If only for a bit of emotional support.

Also use fresh garlic .. and bought some bags of raw peanuts, and tumeric today .. lol!! Can do no more!!!!

I expect other people have found better remedies to try to ease the symptoms of their colds .. just by reading the articles on the net or talking to their local herbalists or health food shop staff. I chose what I did as a base cause it was what I was reading about when I was looking for help for someone's liver .. that's all.

As I said before probably best to ask someone knows about it all if you're interested in the subject .. and check with your doctor.