Friday, July 17, 2009

Manuka honey

I remember a couple of years ago I used manuka honey to stop what appeared to be a chest infection and other people did the same with infections.

Unfortunately honey is not a good thing to use with this flu because of it's promoting cytokine production .. it works a bit like the elderberry extract and echinacea do.

Wonderful stuff usually but not for this flu .. the same goes for all honeys .. manuka is thought to be the second highest promoter of cytokine production in honey. It's sad cause it's a good antiseptic and wound healer ... used in hospitals .. but not something that would be recommended for this present pandemic at all.

I should really be careful with it too because of my auto immune illness and I guess should just use it when it looks like I have an infection brewing .. which is what I do. I tried it for a while orally to see if it would help with my illness .. though I guess didn't really give it lomg enough. I doubt if I'll try again but ointment from the docs has been very good with new wounds .. not so much with the older ones though .. though the plasters from the doc did appear to start one healing .. had to stop using them cause it went into overdrive though that was easily sorted out. It has been very good with later ones .. though they are kind of pressure sores, rather than the original illness. which I believe was the cause of the one that healed.

Anyway, I think it could be right to say that with an auto immune ullness it's fine for healing wounds on a temporary basis but not good long term.

And .. with this flu .. mot to be used at all.