Sunday, May 16, 2010

A breath of fresh air

I would've liked to go for a little walk today .. just down to the bridge and back but didn't really feel up to it. Would be nice to be out in the fresh air more though. Perhaps I should take a leaf out of Doll and Charlie's book and sit out in the front garden. They used to be almost a landmark here after Doll lost her legs when she developed infections in them and eventually started sitting out the front to watch the world go by with Charlie. They used to have a stall down the market like a lot of their family. Fruit and veggies.

Doll was amazing, and, even after losing both of her legs, used to do loads round the house including making the bed. Don't ask me how she did it. But she was a strong woman in all ways I guess. Didn't think I would find myself here .. like her "a bit" under the weather!!

How time flies, eh. This bit of the street has changed so much since I first moved in. Lost one of my best friends, June, who lived three doors down, to breast cancer when she was about my age. It was through that that I eventually went to help out at the hospice shop for a while. Which was a lot of fun though very hard work as it was a large shop .. nothing like the small one they have there now. Worked a bit on the till but it was usually Robert and Phyllis out front while I sorted out at the back often with Marieka and Sandra. Sky, my dog, was out front with the customers .. there were treats at the desk sometimes .. lol and out the back too.

Guess he kinda fitted in there being a second hand dog himself coming from Battersea Dogs Home.

It's absolutely pouring out there now .. so not even a potter out past the gate.