Saturday, March 29, 2008

and ... onwards

I'll be learning my languages again. While I was in hospital last time I read about a primary school in London where there are children from all over the world speaking 40 different languages. Think the school is Newbury Park primary. Noticed one of the languages spoken was Arabic but no one there spoke Dutch .. well, not as a first language anyway. Think both Mandarin and Cantonese was spoken there too.

The school was learning some basic sentences in all the languages that were spoken at the school so that people could greet each other in their first language .... I thought that was really great and by the sounds of it quite a bit of fun. They were hoping that people would learn a few phrases in each language before they went on to senior school.

Another primary school in East London has been teaching the children philosophy to try and teach them another way to think things through.

I read about this on the Beeb news site so hopefully I'll be able to find a link

Yes ... got it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7232693.stm

Nice to see that the course has really helped.