Sunday, September 07, 2008

Last night's long chat

After a long talk with me brother yesterday and topics meandered all over the place as usual and we talked for a little while about personality disorders. I had really only known about a couple of them in any great depth so I pottered off to see if they'd sorted out the % rate in the community for women yet. I think I'd blogged that when I was reading about it they weren't sure if one disorder showed itself differently in men than women and so made it difficult to give an accurate percentage.

Seems from reading more up to date findings that they'd got it more or less right .. they've just upped the numbers a bit for both sexes. I read this pamphlet to find that out.

http://www.personalitydisorder.org.uk/assets/Resources/56.pdf

I found it an interesting read. There's a high perentage of people with one or other of the disorders .. 10 ..13%.

The person I was talking to said he thinks that the closing of the large psychiatric hospitals was a big mistake as it's left lots of vulnerable people with not much help. Years ago personality disorder wasn't considered a reason for being admitted into hospital because it was considered untreatable .. don't think it was even came into the cluster of conditions that were considered to be under the term of psychiatric problems. Things are changing though and there is help available .