Monday, November 24, 2008

................................

Well, no donuts tonight .. crumpets and a mug of soup to put me to bed. Dunno why but I've been quite hungry the last couple of days .. regardless of what it might taste like. not sure I'll manage all the soup though .. having said that. Mushroom never was my favourite and it certainly hasn't improved post taste bud destruction. Oh well, back to the tomato I guess. That comes across as reasonably ok .. the taste is a bit muted but other than that it's fine.

From what I've read this is quite a common symptom of this illness .. so be wary of the sun as it can be a factor in developing the condition. It's a difficult illness to say the least. And I guess it's worth making sure that you have a reasonable calcium intake .. not too high ofcourse with adequate vit D ,, not too much though so that you have healthy bones to start with if you need to start taking steroids. Well, it's a good idea to protect your bones anyway but just incase there's a problem with the bone sparing pill (the once a week, sitting/standing up/half an hour before food and to take with a glass of water one) .. I've now come across people .. or, rather, a person, who wasn't prescribed them while on a reasonably high dose of steroids. An oversight and I noticed straight away .. well, I asked when I realised her medication had similarities to mine . luckily it was only a couple of weeks into treatment .. steroids can leech the calcium out of your bones very quickly .. can't remember how long it takes to become very dangerous .. but, if I remember correctly, just a few months. I have no idea what the dose of steroids you ned to be on before they start messing with your calcium intake. It's also a good ida not to take the first calcium pill of the day, if you're prescribed those as well, too near to the bone sparing pill that day .. maybe leave it a few hours .. as I was told that calcium can have a bad effect on the bone sparing pill when it's being absorbed.

Think I might be careful of grapefruit as well .. it has an effect on some medication .. don't know about this one but I don't think it's something I'd want to risk. I used to love grapefruit. Obviously I don't eat it now, Occasionally I eye up a tin of the stuff but there's no temptation.

Well, I'm off to bed now.