Tuesday, February 05, 2008

A good week really!!!

Quite a week really I suppose. I'd expected to come down with a nasty cold as someone I was with last week had one. She thought she just had a migraine but it turned out to be a cold of the mucho sneezeroo variety. I caught a cold but haven't been too bad at all. It's made me tired and I've sneezed a bit .. and didn't wretch once like I used to. That's about all though.

It's a strange illness this one!!! The wretching was because I used to go into spasm and that was more to do with the bone and muscle problems than the auto immune illness directly. I've found out that thyroid problems can be auto immune illnesses too. Mum had an under active thyroid for a few years so I'm not the only person in the family to have an auto immune illness.

Auto immune illnesses affect women more than men. The one I have tends to develop in people over 50 while an illness like Multiple Scelrosis will often develop much earlier on. Every person I know who has had MS has developed it in their late twenties or early thirties. It happens when your immune system attacks your own body .. all auto immune illnesses are a result of this happening .. Apparently I have a strong immune system which could be why my illness has been so resistant to treatment though things are ok along that line now I'm pleased to say.

No one knows why auto immune illnesses happen. There could be a hereditary cause with mine as it's more common in some parts of the world than others. It does sometimes happen as a reaction to some medication but that wasn't the cause here as I wasn't taking any.

I know there's at least one person here who I haven't met who has the same illness but I'm not related. Know someone else from here who's grandma had it many years ago. No one else in the family's known to've developed it so even if someone in your family does have it there seems little chance of anyone else developing it too even if there's a susceptibility towards it in your genes. It's very rare. And obviously, just like all auto immune illnesses, it's impossible to catch as it's a developmental illness. There's no one in my family who's known to've had it except me. It's thought that it could sometimes result from sun exposure too. I'd wondered if mine could be the result from environmental concerns some time ago and blogged about it. For some reason or other, lupus which is another auto immune illness vaguely similar to mine is becoming more common in young women in the Western world in recent years and I'd wondered if there was any connection. Lupus tends to develop in younger people, my illness generally in middle or old age. It affects both skin and joints. It's strange though, one of my big toes curved inwards for a while when my illness was in a stage before it became even remotely obvious what it was. It's now gone back to how it was before. My illness isn't supposed to affect the joints.

I'm going to try the homeopathic remedy. I can see why the various ingredients have been included. Maybe it'll help .. maybe it won't. It's worth a try. My illness was treatment resistant for a while with conventional medicine as well as me reacting badly to some of the medication to start off with. There's The Royal Homeopathic Hospital down Great Ormond Street which I might ask my doctor in London to refer me to when I get back. She used to be keen on the hospital so I'll ask when I'm back there.

Met the woman I bumped into in Marks the other day again. She's really nice. I was a bit more tactile this time. She used to work in the medical profession so knows what's going on with me!!!!! She'll be getting the book!!

It seems to've cheered me relative up no end!!! Talking about books the Yoga Bliss book seems just up my street. I'm doing an exercise from it twice a day now. It's one called Figurehead, probably because of it's resemblance to the figurehead on old sailing ships, and seems very good for stretching out the chest. I noticed that there was a change. The book also is good on breathing exercises and meditation as well as the yoga positions. I've got one fer me relative too for a future pressie. It's only £2.99, reduced from £6.99, and could be something he finds useful and enjoys. Guess quite a few of the people he knows'll enjoy it too. I hadn't heard of the figurehead pose before. I haven't tried anything from the Meditation Bliss book yet but from just flicking through it that looks good too. I've been pottering back in to see if there's anything else to read along this line but I think these, for me, are the best ones there. As I said they seem just up my street. I'll be picking out another exercise soon.